Generic Name : Chlorambucil Pronunciation : klor am' byoo sil
Therapeutic Classification : Chemotherapy Trade Name(s):
India- Celkeran Tab , Clokeran Tab, Leukeran Tab .
International- Leukeran Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a cytotoxic chemotherapy drug, prescribed for chronic lymphocytic leukemia, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and lymphosarcoma. It slows or stops cancer cell growth. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in women in the first trimester of pregnancy and patients with hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : PO- The recommended dose is 4 to 10mg (0.1 to 0.2mg/kg) daily for 3 to 6 weeks. Maintenance: 2mg. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of bone marrow depression, decreased white blood counts, infection, shingles, chickenpox, porphyria, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* It may reduce platelet counts, avoid injury or bruising.
* Avoid contact with people with any infection. Side Effects :
Blood - Bone marrow suppression, anemia and decreased blood counts.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and mouth ulcer.
Central Nervous System - Tremors, muscular twitching, confusion, agitation, incoordination and hallucinations.
Miscellaneous - Pulmonary fibrosis, liver damage, jaundice, fever, peripheral neuropathy, infertility and secondary malignancies.
* Avoid alcoholic beverages. Storage Conditions :
Store it in the refrigerator; do not freeze.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert