Generic Name : Brimonidine Pronunciation : bri moe' ni deen Therapeutic Classification : Sympathomimetics
India- Alphagan Eye Drops, Alphagan-P Eye Gel, Brimochek Eye Drops, Brimochek-T Eye Drops, Brimocom Eye Drops, Brimodin Eye Drops, Brimodin-P Eye Drops, Brimopress Eye Drops, Brimosun Eye Drops, Combigan Eye Drops, Iobrim Eye Drops, Rimonid Eye Drops.
Internatonal- Alphagan-P. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an α2-adrenergic receptor agonist, prescribed for open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension (high pressure inside the eye). It decreases pressure inside the eye by reducing the amount of fluid in the eye. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Hypersensitivity, patients receiving monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor therapy.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Eye: As 0.2% solution: Instill 1 drop 2-3 times/day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a solution to instill in the affected eyes, as directed by your physician. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with heart or vascular disease, depression, pregnant or breastfeeding women.
* If you wear soft contact lenses, remove your soft contact lenses before instilling this eye drops and wait at least 15 minutes after using the medication to replace your lenses.
* This eye drops may make you drowsy. Your vision may be blurry for a few minutes after you instill the eye drops. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
* Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness.
* It may lead to liver, kidney, heart disease. Side Effects :
Heart- Hypertension and slow heart rate.
Central Nervous System- Weakness, depression, headache and drowsiness.
Skin- Eyelid itching, skin reactions including erythema, rash and dilatation of blood vessels.
Eye and ENT- Inflammation of conjunctiva due to allergy, increased tearing, eye itching, eye burning and stinging, inflammation of eyelid, corneal erosion, eye discharge, eye dryness, eye irritation, eye pain, eyelid swelling, eyelid redness, foreign body sensation, inflammation of the cornea and visual disturbances.
Gastrointestinal- Dry mouth and nausea.
Miscellaneous- Low body temperature and decreased muscle tone.
* If more than 1 topical ophthalmic product is to be used, separate the instillation times by at least 5 min. Storage Conditions :
Ophthalmic: Store at 25 °C. Store it in airtight container and keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert