Generic Name : Alfuzosin Pronunciation : al-fyu-zoe-sin Therapeutic Classification : BPH Agents
India- Afdura Tab, Alfoo Extentab, Alfusin Extentab, Efzu Extentab, Flotral Extentab, Fual Tab, Profuzo Sr-Tab, Xelflo Tab, Zofu-Er Extentab.
International- Uroxatral. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an alpha-blocker, prescribed for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in men with an enlarged prostate. It works by relaxing the muscles in the prostate and bladder to allow urine to flow more easily. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with severe kidney, liver impairment, intestinal obstruction and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult: PO- The recommended dose is 2.5 mg 3 times/day. Max: 10 mg/day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of irregular heartbeat, prostate cancer, chest pain, low blood pressure, heart or kidney disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, dizziness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
* Avoid situations in which injury could occur because of fainting.
* Rarely it may cause prolonged or painful erection; if it so consult with your doctor. Side Effects :
Central Nervous System - Drowsiness, weakness, depression, headache, dizziness and lack of energy.
Heart - Low blood pressure, fainting, fast heart rate, palpitation, chest pain and flushing.
Gastrointestinal - Dry mouth and GI disturbances.
Miscellaneous - Swelling, blurred vision, runny nose, erectile disorders and hypersensitivity reactions.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it in a cool place (15-30°C).
Ask an Expert »
Ask an Expert