Cipla Limited Generic : Alfuzosin
85.60 10mg 10 Tablets
• Central Nervous System - Headache, dizziness and lack of energy.
• Heart - Low blood pressure, fainting, fast heart rate, chest pain and flushing.
• Gastrointestinal - Nausea, stomach pain, constipation
• Respiratory: Difficulty in breathing in case of allergic reaction, runny nose (rhinitis), cough and upper respiratory tract infections.
• Skin: Rashes and hives
• Genitourinary: Erectile dysfunction, painful erection and impotence
• Eye: Blurred vision; a condition called intraoperative floppy iris syndrome may occur in patients undergoing cataract surgery who were taking alfuzosin
Adult: The recommended oral dose is 10 mg to be taken once daily.
It comes as an extended release tablet to take by mouth, with food. The tablet should not be chewed or crushed.
Alfuzosin is contraindicated in patients who are allergic to the drug and with history of severe kidney or liver problems
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of irregular heartbeat, prostate cancer, chest pain, low blood pressure, heart or kidney disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications and children.
• Alfuzosin is prescribed only for men .Women must not take this medicine especially during pregnancy and lactation.
• Avoid driving a car or operating machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication as it may cause dizziness and lightheadedness.
• Avoid situations in which injury could occur because of fainting.
• Rarely, it may cause prolonged or painful erection; if so consult your doctor.
Avoid excess dosage. Alfuzosin does not cure the condition as a whole but provides relief and reduces the symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia (enlarged prostate).
Do not consume grapefruit juice with alfuzosin to avoid possible side effects of the drug.
Inform the doctor before undergoing any dental or eye surgery, if you are taking alfuzosin.
Alfuzosin should be avoided with:
• Beta blockers like atenolol, metaprolol, nebivolol and propranolol, and other alpha blockers like doxazosin, prazosin, terazosin due to its additive effect resulting in low blood pressure.
• Anti-arrhythmic drugs like amiodarone, quinidine, procainamide, disopyramide, and dofetilide as it can lead to abnormal heart rhythms.
• Gastrointestinal drugs such as cimetidine, cisapride as these drugs reduce the metabolism of the drug and increase the levels of alfuzosin.
• Drugs used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction like sildenafil, vardenafil and tadalafil as they might severely lower the blood pressure and increase the side effects of the drug causing light headedness, dizziness, headache and nasal congestion.
• Protease inhibitors like indinavir, nelfinavir and lopinavir, antibiotics like clarithromycin and erythromycin and azole antifungals as that of ketoconazole and itraconazole slow down the metabolic process of alfuzosin in the liver thereby increasing the drug levels in the blood resulting in severe dizziness, fatigue and fainting.
Store it in a tightly closed container at room temperature. Protect from heat, light and moisture. Keep out of reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!