Generic Name : Acetaminophen and Codeine Pronunciation : (a set a mee' noe fen) (koe' deen) Therapeutic Classification : Analgesics ICD Code : Y45.8
India- Codomolindon Tab, Neofebrin Tab, Twc 30 Tab , Zimalgin Tab.
International- Aceta with Codeine and Tylenol with Codeine. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This combination medication contains nonopiate, non-salicylate analgesic, antipyretic and opium alkaloid, prescribed for pain, fever and cough. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult: POr- Per tab contains paracetamol 500 mg and codeine phosphate 8 mg: 1-2 tabs 4-6 hourly. Max: 4-doses/24 hr. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of depression, diarrhea, irregular heart rate, low blood pressure, asthma, epilepsy, thyroid disease, liver or kidney impairment, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may lead to restlessness and irritability.
* It may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery, and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Most Common - Drowsiness, lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, shortness of breath, nausea and vomiting.
Miscellaneous - Allergic reactions, elevated mood, anxiety, constipation, abdominal pain, itching, rash and decreased platelet counts.
* Avoid excess dosage.
* It may cause severe allergic reactions; if it so consult with your doctor. Storage Conditions :
Store tablets and solutions at room temperature (15°-30°C). Keep this medication out of reach of children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert