What are the Causes of Leptospirosis?
The Leptospira bacteria can be found in soil or fresh water that has been contaminated by the urine of an infected animal.
Human infection occurs through direct contact with such water, soil or plants. The bacteria enter the body by-
- Ingestion of contaminated food or water
- Through cuts or abrasions on the skin
- Through the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and eyes
Person-to-person transmission of leptospirosis is rare.
Risk factors for leptospirosis infection include-
- Occupational exposure- farmers, slaughterhouse workers, veterinary doctors, rice field workers, fish workers, mine workers, dairy farmers and military personnel
- Recreational activities- fresh water activities like swimming, rafting, canoeing and kayaking
- Household exposure- pet dogs, domesticated livestock, rainwater catchment systems and infected rodents
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 23). What are the Causes of Leptospirosis?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-leptospirosis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes of Leptospirosis?". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-leptospirosis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes of Leptospirosis?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-leptospirosis.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What are the Causes of Leptospirosis?. Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-leptospirosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Helath center, Sambamurthy nagar