Types of tapeworm
There are many types of tapeworms but they are broadly classified into two
The adult stage of the tapeworm's life cycle is completed in the human intestine and man acts as a definitive host.
- Pork tapeworm (Taenia solium)
- Beef tapeworm (Taenia saginata)
- Fish tapeworm (Diphyllobothrium latum)
- Dwarf /Rat tapeworm (Hymenolepis nana and Hymenolepis diminuta)
- Dog tapeworm (Dipylidium caninum)
Humans act as an intermediate host and the tapeworm does not reach adult stages in man. Only the cysts or eggs infect the humans.
- Pork Tapeworm (Taenia solium)
- Hydatid Tapeworm (Echinococcus granulosus)
Tapeworm Infections - References
- MEDIC8 - (http://www.medic8.com/)