What is Cord Blood?
- Following childbirth, the umbilical cord is usually discarded with placenta
- Blood is collected from the umbilical cord, which is a rich source of stem cells
- Stem cells are the unspecialized blood cell that has the capacity to replicate and produce its own blood cells, Platelets, red and white blood cells.
- Umbilical cord blood does not have well-developed immune cells and so the transplanted cells are not rejected by the host body
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2013, April 19). Cord Blood. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 06, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/stemcells_cordblood.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. " Cord Blood". Medindia. Dec 06, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/stemcells_cordblood.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. " Cord Blood". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/stemcells_cordblood.htm. (accessed Dec 06, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Cord Blood. Medindia, viewed Dec 06, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/stemcells_cordblood.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Stem Cells - Cord Blood
- Primary Cilia Mediate Wnt5a/ß-catenin Signaling to Regulate Adipogenic Differentiation of Human Umbilical Cord Blood-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Following Calcium Induction. - Published by PubMed
- Repeated intramuscular transplantations of hUCB-MSCs improves motor function and survival in the SOD1 G93A mice through activation of AMPK. - Published by PubMed
- Effect of Cord Blood Platelet Gel on wound healing capacity of human Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. - Published by PubMed
- Reconstructed Single-Cell Fate Trajectories Define Lineage Plasticity Windows during Differentiation of Human PSC-Derived Distal Lung Progenitors. - Published by PubMed
- Soluble Fas affects erythropoiesis in vitro and acts as potential predictor of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents therapy in chronic kidney disease patients. - Published by PubMed