Signs and Symptoms of Fibroids in Uterus
Clinical features depend on the size, location and number of fibroids. Most fibroids do not cause any symptoms. However the common symptoms (if produced) include:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding is by far the commonest problem. The usual type of bleeding is menorrhagia, i.e. abnormally heavy or prolonged menstruation. Bleeding may sometimes include blood clots.
- Frequent urination, a sense of urgency to urinate and rarely the inability to urinate may occur due to pressure exerted by the fibroids on bladder. Pressure on rectum may result in constipation. Pelvic pressure may lead to a ‘feeling of fullness’ or abdominal pain.
- Abdominal distention and distortion occurs due to large tumours.
- Fibroids may cause infertility. They may also complicate a pregnancy.
- Shaw's Textbook of Gynecology, 14/E by V.G. Padubidri, Shirish N. Daftary
- The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy Eighteenth Edition
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2018, July 06). Signs and Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-signs-and-symptoms.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Signs and Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-signs-and-symptoms.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Signs and Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-signs-and-symptoms.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Signs and Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-signs-and-symptoms.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
4 years experience
Punarjjani womens health hospital , Ernakulam
10 years experience
Ram Murti Hospital, Katka padaw