Causes of Agoraphobia
The cause of Agoraphobia is not yet known. Theories are now being suggested that the condition could run in the families.
- Agoraphobia still remains a condition of unknown cause.
- The condition usually presents itself in early adulthood and is generally set off with the first instance by any unexpected panic attack.
- The individual usually describes their first panic attack as 'Sudden' or 'Out of the blue' in nature.
- There are various theories being researched to identify the reason for the onset of Agoraphobia.
Some Common theories considered are:
- Cognitive hypothesis.
- Biological theory.
- Psychoanalytical theory.
Certain other factors being considered include:
- Stress in life
- Early experiences with loss of control.
- Tendency of a person to breathe too quickly.
- Brain chemicals imbalance.
- Confusion over the normal symptoms of anxiety.
Though there is not yet any direct evidence, the theory that Agoraphobia could also be due to various causes within the family due to a genetic link is being considered.
- Shorter Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry (IVth Edition): Oxford University Press - Michael Gelder, Richard Mayou & Philip Cowen.
- A Short Textbook of Psychiatry (Vth Edition): Jaypee Brothers, -Niraj Ahuja, MD.
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialities. 6th Edition. Oxford press. -Judith Colier, Murray longmore, Peter Scally.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2014, September 18). Causes of Agoraphobia. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/agoraphobia-causes.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Causes of Agoraphobia". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/agoraphobia-causes.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Causes of Agoraphobia". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/agoraphobia-causes.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Causes of Agoraphobia. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/agoraphobia-causes.htm.