Medindia
Advertisement

Research Explores Effects of Sudden Loss of Consciousness

by Kathy Jones on April 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Font : A-A+

 Research Explores Effects of Sudden Loss of Consciousness

Up to 3% of consultations at an emergency department concern a sudden loss of consciousness or near loss of consciousness, according to a prospective study (the SPEED Study) presented by Yvonne Greve of Nuremberg Hospital in Deutsches Ärzteblatt Internationa.

In order to assess the frequency and prognostic significance of near syncope and syncope (the specialist terms for short-term near or complete loss of consciousness), the authors gathered data on 395 patients who presented to an emergency department with the typical symptoms.Emergency department consultations for near syncope or syncope were relatively frequent, accounting for approximately 3% of cases.

Advertisement

Most of these patients (62%) attended the emergency department for complete loss of consciousness; the remaining 38% for near loss of consciousness. The overall rate of adverse events—including myocardial infarction or even sudden death—during follow-up was high, at 32%. There were no differences between the two patient groups in terms of the type or frequency of adverse events.Patients with near syncope had similar characteristics and comorbidities to those with syncope. They also had similar risk profiles and prognoses. The authors therefore recommend that patients with near loss of consciousness be examined with the same level of standardization and thoroughness as those who lose consciousness completely.



Source: Eurekalert
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
News Category
What's New on Medindia
Sedentary Behavior Precipitates Night-Time Hot Flashes
Gonorrhea
World Alzheimer's Day 2021 - 'Know Dementia, Know Alzheimer's
View all

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Decreased Consciousness Fainting Symptom Evaluation 

Recommended Reading
Brain Food
It is a myth that the brain quits generating new cells once you reach adulthood. They are ......
Brain Exercises to Improve Memory
An active brain can certainly help in improving memory by strengthening the connections between ......
Brilliant Human Brain - Animation
The most amazing and complex organ in the entire universe, the human brain continues to remain an .....
Decreased Consciousness
Consciousness can be decreased to various degrees and result in conditions like delirium, stupor, co...
Fainting Symptom Evaluation
Fainting or syncope is characterized by transient loss of consciousness and a spontaneous recovery....

Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

© All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2021

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use