Shri Shanta Kumar headed the high-level committee for restructuring the Food Corporation of India (FCI) has submitted the report. Shri Raosaheb Patil Danve, Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, gave this information in a written reply in Rajya Sabha last month.
Major Recommendations Of Committee Are:
- FCI to outsource all procurement operations to States that have gained sufficient experience.
- FCI to move to the Eastern U.P., Bihar, W.B., Assam etc. where small and marginal farmers suffer most from distress sale.
- Quality check through transparent and mechanical process.
- Outsourcing of stocking operations to CWC, SWCs, private sector under PEG scheme on competitive basis.
- Convert old conventional storages to Silos.
- Gradually phase out cover and plinth (CAP) with no grain stocks remaining in CAP for more than three months.
- Mechanization of operations in Food Storage Depots.
- Introduce a pro-active liquidation policy to off-load stocks in the market whenever they are in excess of buffer norms. Greater flexibility to FCI needed to operate in OMSS and export markets.
- De-notification of depots, fixing ceiling on incentives per worker and VRS to Departmental Labour.
- Condition of contract labour should be improved by giving them better facility.
- FCI to reorient into an agency for innovation in foodgrain management system.
- Use of HDPE rather than jute bags for packaging.
- End to End Computerization of food management system - Automation of FCI Operations.
Latest Press Release
Authorities have warned people to be careful when taking part in water recreation activities over the summer months, especially when alcohol is involved.
Hemophilia A and B treatment market is set to experience limited growth, rising from $5.4 billion in 2014 to $6.3 billion by 2024, says GlobalData.
The medical fraternity demands the withdrawal of suspension of the doctor who was on duty at the General Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram last Tuesday.
Harold P. Wimmer opines that the quitting smoking is one of the most effective things someone can do to improve their health and prevent illness and disease.
Prenatal consultations, checking on newborn babies and family planning: I brave every danger to make my way round 17 villages on foot, says Salamatou Zahadi.