- Bowel cancer cells and bowel tumors have unique genetic fingerprints
- Latest single cell and organoid technologies were used to study the mutational processes of cancers
- High mutation rates in cancer cells lead to high genetic diversity between the tumor cells.
first study of its kind, a research team used the latest single cell and
organoid technologies to study the mutational processes of cancer cells. The
study on bowel cancers shows that not only is every tumor different but every
cancer cell has a unique genetic pattern. The study from the Wellcome Sanger
Institute, UK and Hubrecht Institute (KNAW) in Utrecht, The Netherlands is
published in Nature.
Study OverviewThe study worked with Colorectal Cancer tissues from three different patients. The tissues were collected from the normal bowel stem cells and cells from four different areas of the tumors.
The tissues were then grown into organoids, 3D mini-guts, in the laboratory to amplify a single cell.
While it is known that cancers contain subclones, this is the first time that anyone has shown that each cell in a tumor is different.
- Every tumor is different, and every cell within the tumor is also genetically unique.
- Mutational process in tumor cells is more than normal cells, leading to a huge increase in mutation rate for tumors compared with normal cells.
- The high mutation rate may be responsible for the high genetic diversity within the tumors.
- The mutation rate starts to change many years before the diagnosis of the cancer. This time window may provide diagnostic clues in the future, if it were possible to identify the rise in mutation rate early in a cell.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Anjali Aryamvally. (2018, April 12). Every Bowel Tumor Has a Unique Genetic Blueprint. Medindia. Retrieved on Aug 16, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/every-bowel-tumor-has-a-unique-genetic-blueprint-178643-1.htm.
Anjali Aryamvally. "Every Bowel Tumor Has a Unique Genetic Blueprint". Medindia. Aug 16, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/every-bowel-tumor-has-a-unique-genetic-blueprint-178643-1.htm>.
Anjali Aryamvally. "Every Bowel Tumor Has a Unique Genetic Blueprint". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/every-bowel-tumor-has-a-unique-genetic-blueprint-178643-1.htm. (accessed Aug 16, 2022).
Anjali Aryamvally. 2021. Every Bowel Tumor Has a Unique Genetic Blueprint. Medindia, viewed Aug 16, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/news/healthinfocus/every-bowel-tumor-has-a-unique-genetic-blueprint-178643-1.htm.