About Careers Internship MedBlog Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Drug Used to Treat Opioid-Induced Constipation Extends Survival for Cancer Patients

by Dr. Trupti Shirole on October 28, 2015 at 5:15 PM
Font : A-A+

 Drug Used to Treat Opioid-Induced Constipation Extends Survival for Cancer Patients

Opioids like morphine are often used for pain relief in cancer patients. They are known to cause severe constipation that often cannot be relieved by traditional laxatives. Methylnaltrexone, is a drug that is given to late-stage cancer patients to help ease the constipation brought on by morphine. Researchers have suggested that methylnaltrexone could play a role in cancer therapy as it has been shown to extend the patients' lives.

Jonathan Moss, lead author of the study and professor of anesthesia and critical care at the University of Chicago, said, "Early on, we began to suspect that methylnaltrexone might inhibit cancer growth. After more than a decade in the lab trying to assess how methylnaltrexone affects cancer, we have the first evidence that it can decrease tumor growth and extend survival in patients who respond to the drug."

Advertisement


For the study, researchers analyzed 229 patients across two randomized, controlled clinical trials on the relief of constipation for patients in the late stages of cancer and other terminal diseases. The study said, "In these two trials, 117 cancer patients received methylnaltrexone (marketed as Relistor) for opioid-induced constipation, while 112 were given a placebo."

The researchers said, "Just over half (57%) of those who received methylnaltrexone experienced relief from constipation. The other 43% did not. Those who received and responded to methylnaltrexone lived, on average, twice as long (118 days versus 58 days) as those who did not respond or were given the placebo."
Advertisement

Methylnaltrexone did not have any life-extending effects on patients with other illnesses like congestive heart failure, advanced chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or neurologic diseases. The research team is not sure exactly how the drug works to extend life, and are continuing to study the matter.

The findings were presented at the meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists in San Diego.

Source: AFP
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
What's New on Medindia
World Heart Day in 2022- Use Heart for Every Heart
Anemia among Indian Women and Children Remains a Cause of Concern- National Family Health Survey-5
H1N1 Influenza Prevention in Children: What Parents Need to Know
View all
Recommended Reading
News Archive
Date
Category
Advertisement
News Category

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Drug Toxicity Constipation Piles Cancer and Homeopathy Colo-rectal cancer - Management Signature Drug Toxicity Cancer Facts Piles Treatment Options Cancer Tattoos A Body Art 

Most Popular on Medindia

Nutam (400mg) (Piracetam) Color Blindness Calculator Blood Pressure Calculator Hearing Loss Calculator Loram (2 mg) (Lorazepam) A-Z Drug Brands in India Daily Calorie Requirements Indian Medical Journals Find a Hospital Noscaphene (Noscapine)
This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use
×

Drug Used to Treat Opioid-Induced Constipation Extends Survival for Cancer Patients Personalised Printable Document (PDF)

Please complete this form and we'll send you a personalised information that is requested

You may use this for your own reference or forward it to your friends.

Please use the information prudently. If you are not a medical doctor please remember to consult your healthcare provider as this information is not a substitute for professional advice.

Name *

Email Address *

Country *

Areas of Interests