Soy Sauce Overdose Sends Man into Coma

by Kathy Jones on  June 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
A report published in the Journal of Emergency Medicine revealed that a 19-year old man went into coma and almost died after drinking a quart of soy sauce.
 Soy Sauce Overdose Sends Man into Coma
Soy Sauce Overdose Sends Man into Coma

The unidentified man was with his friends when they dared him to drink the sauce. He soon began to twitch and started having seizures and was taken to the ER where hospital staff administered anti-seizure medication.

The man was already in coma when he was taken to the University of Virginia Medical Center after suffering from hypernatremia, a condition in which the brain begins to lose water due to high levels of sodium in the blood stream.

The doctors flushed the salt out of his system and the sodium levels in the man's body returned to normal after about five hours though he remained in coma for three days before waking up on his own.

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like