Flesh Eating Bacteria in Hong Kong

by Kathy Jones on  September 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM General Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

In what could prove to be worrying news for the health authorities in Hong Kong, a man died after being infected with a flesh eating bacteria to bring the number of such cases to two in the past month.
 Flesh Eating Bacteria in Hong Kong
Flesh Eating Bacteria in Hong Kong

According to the Centre for Health Protection of the Department for Health, the 48-year old was admitted to the hospital on September 8 after complaining of severe leg pain and shortness of breath.

He had injured both his calves back in July this year and was infected with a rare bacterium known as Vibrio vulnificus.

Though the doctors tried to remove the contaminated flesh, the man went into shock and died soon afterwards. This is the second such case in the city after a 68-year old woman died in similar circumstances when she was infected by the bacteria after injuring her finger when handling a fish.




Source:

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

More News on:

Shigellosis MRSA - The Super Bug Food Safety for Health Antibiotics 

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive