What is Aerobics?
The word Aerobic means “with oxygen”; it refers to the use of oxygen in a process to break down glucose and fat for energy. Aerobic exercise is a form of physical exercise that uses the muscles in your arms, legs and hips and makes your overall body healthy. It also gives you more stamina; hence you will be able to do any kind of physical activity without getting tired soon. There are various types of aerobic exercise such as running, bicycling, swimming, rowing and so on. Aerobics is an effective exercise that benefits our health in many ways such as to improve heart health, increase blood supply to the body, muscular endurance and many more. Common exercises that are included under aerobic exercises include dance, bicycling, fitness walking, swimming and jumping rope.
Benefits of Aerobic Exercise:
1. Aerobics increases the functional capacity of the heart and keeps it healthy and strong.
2. During exercise the body burns fat, and as a result, aerobics aids in weight loss.
3. Aerobic exercise can help decrease your blood pressure and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or bad cholesterol and increase your HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol. A consistent aerobic exercise can reduce the buildup of plaque in the arteries.
4. Studies suggest that regular aerobic exercise can help improve certain mental functions, including attention and memory. It also helps releases the endorphins; hence it keeps the person away from depression, stress and anxiety.
5. Aerobic exercise strengthens your immune system, keeping you away from illness such as viral fever, flu and cold.
6. Women who are engaged in doing regular aerobic exercise at least three times a week have a lessened chance of developing breast cancer, according to a study.
7. Exercise helps improves muscles health, as a result it strengthens bones and joints.
8. Aerobic exercise can lower the risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. It also helps in preventing heart disease and stroke.
9. Regular exercise may increase your body resistance. It might make you feel tired at one point, but as you continue in the long term, it helps increase body strength and the sense of well-being and keeps you free from fatigue.
10. Aerobic exercises increase the maximum consumption of oxygen by the body.
Tips for a Good Aerobic Exercise:
• Choose a form of aerobic exercise that you are comfortable with and that fits into your day.
• Start exercising 3-4 times a week for about 10-15 minutes. At first, start with low-to-moderate level activities.
• Try mixing activities such as cycling and walking or swimming and walking.
• Once you are used to these activities, start doing vigorous activity for 20-30 minutes 3-4 times a week.
• While exercising, share your activity time with your friend or group of friends.
Latest Publications and Research on Benefits of Aerobic ExercisesCardiac rehabilitation: A class 1 recommendation. - Published by PubMed
Development of an Educational Program for Non-Professional Soccer Coaches in Charge of Community-Based Soccer in Men with Prostate Cancer: a Qualitative Study. - Published by PubMed
When Adults Don't Exercise: Behavioral Strategies to Increase Physical Activity in Sedentary Middle-Aged and Older Adults. - Published by PubMed
Who bears the cost of forest conservation? - Published by PubMed
Surgical patients' perspectives on nurses' education on post-operative care and follow up in Northern Ghana. - Published by PubMed