About My Health Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Genes may be Responsible for the Fussy Attitude of Picky Eaters

by Kathy Jones on March 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Font : A-A+

 Genes may be Responsible for the Fussy Attitude of Picky Eaters

While people who hesitate to try out new foods are thought to be picky, a new study published in the journal Obesity reveals that genetics may be the reason behind the hesitation.

Researchers at UNC-Chapel Hill conducted the study on 66 pairs of twins who were between 4 and 7 years of age and found that genes were the reason for over 72 percent of the children avoiding trying out new foods while the remaining 28 percent were influenced by the environmental factors.

Advertisement

The researchers added that parents can encourage their children to try out new food by repeatedly exposing them to various food items or showing them how much they enjoy eating it.

"In some respects, food neophobia, or the aversion to trying new foods, is similar to child temperament or personality. Some children are more genetically susceptible than others to avoid new foods. However, that doesn't mean that they can't change their behaviors and become a little less picky", lead researcher Myles Faith said.


Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Advertisement
News Category
What's New on Medindia
Menstrual Disorders
Coffee May Help You Fight Endometrial Cancer
Fermented Skin Care
View all

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Weaver Syndrome 

Recommended Reading
Atkins Diet
Atkins diet is a low carbohydrate diet and aids in weight loss. It was developed by Robert Atkins....
Weaver Syndrome
Weaver syndrome is a genetic disorder in which children show accelerated bone growth, advanced bone ...

Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

© All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2022

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use
open close
ASK A DOCTOR ONLINE
I have read and I do accept terms of use - Telemedicine

Advantage Medindia: FREE subscription for 'Personalised Health & Wellness website with consultation' (Value Rs.300/-)