Experts have always raised safety concerns on the use of bunkbeds. Now, an expert has warned that bunk beds should come with a danger warning. Also, such "twin beds" should be avoided if the room has a ceiling fan, in view of the child's safety.
The researchers from Queensland Injury Surveillance Unit have found that nearly one in 10 cases of bunk-related injuries had a child being struck by a ceiling fan while on the top bunk, thereby resulting in severe cuts to the head that required surgery.
The data revealed that about 20 per cent of cases required hospital admission - and in three cases, children aged 2, 3 and 7, survived after falling off a bunk bed and out of window.
Emergency specialist Ruth Barker said parents should not put bunk beds in rooms that have ceiling fans.
According to Barker, the bunk-related head injuries accounted for 42 per cent of the cases, including skull fractures.
"Parents are advised to consider alternatives to bunk beds," News.com.au quoted her, as saying.
Barker advised that squeezing two beds in the rooms is a rather safer option than opting for bunk beds.
"If you can squeeze two beds into the room, then it's safer than if you're putting your kids into bunk beds.
"If there is no choice, only purchase a bunk bed which complies with the Australian Standard," she added.