Astigmatism - FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which specialist should I consult if I have Astigmatism?

One should consult an Ophthalmologist.

2. What is Refractive Surgery?

Refractive surgery is an outpatient procedure that corrects vision problems such as nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia) and astigmatism. The surgery restores the eye's normal curvature and its ability to bring images into focus.

3. What is PRK?

Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) uses the excimer laser to remove microscopic amounts of corneal tissue on the front of the corneal surface to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. PRK is an outpatient treatment which takes only a few minutes and does not require an incision.

4. What does atoric mean?

Atoric simply means 'not toric,' just as aspheric means not spherical. An atoric lens surface varies slightly from a toric surface (a surface containing cylinder) in order to provide optical compensation for lenses with sphere and cylinder powers