President of India - Dr. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam released Padma awards - Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri - on the eve of the Republic Day.
According to the procedure, an 'Awards Committee' makes the final recommendations on awardees after receiving "recommendations" from various sources like state governments / UTs, central ministries and departments and institutions of excellence, and the names have to be finally cleared by the President's office.
: is India's second highest civilian honour. The Bharat Ratna, is the highest award that can be conferred by the President of India. Padma Vibhushan is awarded to recognize exceptional and distinguished service to the nation in any field, including government service.
: is India's third highest civilian decoration, awarded by the President of India. It is awarded to recognize distinguished service of a high order to the nation, in any field.
Padma Shri (or) Padma Shree
: is an award given by the Government of India generally to Indian citizens to recognize their distinguished contribution in various spheres of activity including Arts, Education, Industry, Literature, Science, Sports, Social Service and public life. It stands fourth in the hierarchy of civilian awards after the Bharat Ratna, the Padma Vibhushan and the Padma Bhushan.
This year, the President of India has approved the names of the following Doctors for conferment of the Padma Awards-2007:
1. Prof. (Dr.) Balu Sankaran, Medicine, Delhi.
1. Dr. Prithipal Singh Maini, Medicine, Delhi.
2. Dr. Shiv Kumar Sarin, Medicine, Delhi.
3. Prof. (Vaidya) Shriram Sharma, Medicine, Maharashtra.
4. Hakim Syed Mohammad Sharfuddin Quadri, Medicine, West Bengal.
1. Prof. (Dr.) Anoop Misra, Medicine, Delhi.
2. Dr. Ashok Kumar Hemal, Medicine, Delhi.
3. Dr. Atul Kumar, Medicine, Delhi.
4. Dr. B. Paul Thaliath, Medicine, Uttar Pradesh.
5. Dr. Balbir Singh, Medicine, Delhi.
6. Prof. (Dr.) Harpinder Singh Chawla, Medicine, Chandigarh.
7. Dr. K.R. Palaniswamy, Medicine, Tamil Nadu.
8. Dr. Mahipal S. Sachdev, Medicine, Delhi.
9. Dr. Manjunath Cholenahally Nanjappa, Medicine, Karnataka.
10. Dr. Mayilvahanan Natarajan, Medicine, Tamil Nadu.
11. Dr. Mohsin Wali, Medicine, Delhi.
12. Prof. (Dr.) Narmada Prasad Gupta, Medicine, Delhi.
13. Prof. (Dr.) Perumalsamy Namperumalsamy, Medicine, Tamil Nadu.
14. Dr. Sheo Bhagwan Tibrewal, Medicine, United Kingdom.
It is interesting to note that the majority of doctors (50% or 10 out of 20) who received the award this year seem to be originating from our capital - Delhi.