Antibiotics are among the most commonly prescribed medications. When used appropriately, antibiotics are relatively safe. However, like any other drug, antibiotic side effects such as bloating, belching, gas, constipation and diarrhea can occur. Antibiotics kill bacteria. Unfortunately, they also kill friendly bacteria which are so very valuable for the health.
The friendly bacteria and yeast are present in the intestines. The friendly bacteria aid in digestion and also lend a helping hand in manufacturing vitamin B. Antibiotics also keep the omnipresent yeast at bay, thus fighting infection. Due to intake of antibiotics, yeasts grow unchecked into large colonies, causing a condition called dysbiosis. This weakens your immune system. Following are a few simple steps which can ease the situation considerably-
Advertisement1. Cut out factors which forced you to take antibiotics in the first place.
2. Quit smoking and drinking carbonated beverages. Avoid chocolates, sugary and starchy foods. Also cut out on dairy products, fatty and spicy foods, tea and coffee. Increase your water intake.
3. Do not drink orange juice. Vitamin C is better obtained from oranges, and taking it through juices will only supply you excess sugar, which will worsen your condition.
4. Take probiotics in the form of yoghurt. Continue to take them for a longer time after the course has completed.
5. Fermented foods like pickles, pickled turnips and carrots contain natural probiotics. Rice kanji is a perfect during your post-antibiotic days.
6. Eat light, easily digestible food because the digestion will be in bad shape for several months after taking those tiny pills.
7. Boil five mint leaves, one inch of ginger and about half a teaspoon of carom seeds (Ajwain or bishop's weed) in a glass of water till the water is reduced to half. Drink this thrice a day.
8. Do light exercises regularly.
9. Have garlic. Allicin present in garlic gets rid of the antibiotics in the body.
10. Vitamins A, C, E, zinc and selenium help a lot.
11. Aloe vera juice protects the intestinal lining.
12. Ensure that you do not get constipated. Psyllium husk and flax seed aids in bowel movement and also relieves diarrhea by absorbing excess water.
13. Antibacterial oregano oil taken thrice a day helps considerably.
14. You can take probiotics like yogurt instead of dairy products like milk and cheese to avoid interactions with antibiotics
You May Also Like