Prevention of Dandruff
Seborrheic dermatitis prevention or cure has no guidelines. It is usually chronic problem; it can however be effectively treated or controlled
Dry skin can also predispose to dandruff. When the epidermal or horny layer of the skin is unable to produce lipids as rapidly as normal skin, dry skin results. In this condition Soaps, disinfectants and excessive washing of the skin can remove the lipids from the horny layer and thus cause further dryness and aggravate the condition.
The severity of the condition can be minimized by the following measures-
- Lifelong cleanliness and hygiene holds the key to controlling this condition
- Use an oil-balanced formula for an oily skin
- Diet: Eat a well balanced and healthy diet.
- Sunlight maybe good for dandruff as during summer season people suffer less from the condition.
- Avoid chemical treatments, using soaps or detergents in the affected area. They may cause drying and induce the condition to flare up.
- Avoid exposure to extreme weather.
- Shampoo: Keeping the scalp clean is important and for this using a shampoo regularly can help. Shampoos containing selenium sulfide, ketoconazole, tar, zinc or pyrithione are available without doctor's prescription. Before using these medicated shampoos you should read the instructions carefully.
- Warm olive or linen oil can also help in giving relief. Massage the warm oil into the scalp before going to bed for a week and wash hair in the morning in shower.
- Stress: Avoiding stress can also help you prevent dandruff.
Sweating can increase the itching from dandruff hence try to avoid conditions that can make you perspire a lot.