Breast augmentation, breast enlargement or augmentation mammoplasty is a surgery done to enhance the size of a woman’s breasts. In this procedure a breast implant is used as prosthesis to enlarge the breasts for cosmetic purposes. It can also be done as part of a breast reconstruction (mastectomy) or a ‘sex change’ surgery.
Breast implants are of two types; silicone gel-filled or saline-filled implants are the most popular ones. Different types of incisions are made to place the implants. The implants are placed in locations associated with the pectoralis major muscle.
The patients may be required to rest depending on the type of surgery. In general they may be able to restore normal activities within a week’s time. It is important not to strain the body during recovery. The scars due to the surgery may last for more than 6 weeks and may begin to fade only after several months of the surgery.
During initial recovery, it is important not to use the arms or strain the body in any way. Scars from a breast augmentation surgery will last six weeks or longer and usually begin to fade several months after surgery.
Infection, breast pain, change in nipple sensation and difficulty in breast feeding, are some of the complications that are associated with this surgery. Women who have done breast augmentation surgeries may be required to do a repeat or a revision surgery to sustain the good results.
If you have lost sleep over the size of your breasts then wake up to breast enlargement!
There are many plastic surgeons and hospitals in India doing commendable ‘boob jobs’. Check out their credentials or consult us first to help you.
Latest Publications and Research on Breast Augmentation
- Improving Clinical Trial Participant Prescreening With Artificial Intelligence (AI): A Comparison of the Results of AI-Assisted vs Standard Methods in 3 Oncology Trials. - Published by PubMed
- Feasibility of breast-conservation therapy and hypofractionated radiation in the setting of prior breast augmentation. - Published by PubMed
- A Follow-Up to "Complication of AQUAfilling® Gel Injection for Breast Augmentation: Case Report of One Case and Review of Literature". - Published by PubMed
- Different Types of Breast Deformity Induced by Two Types of Polyacrylamide Hydrogel and Corresponding Treatment. - Published by PubMed
- Chronic Pain Following Cosmetic Breast Surgery: A Comprehensive Review. - Published by PubMed