Written by Dr. Sangamithra, MBBS | 
Medically Reviewed by Dr. Sunil Shroff, MBBS, MS, FRCS (UK), D. Urol (Lond) on Aug 11, 2020

Kaposi's sarcoma

Kaposi sarcoma develops below the skin surfaces or in mucous membranes of mouth, nose or anus and appears as lumps.

Dr. Moritz Kaposi

Kaposi sarcoma (KS) was named for Dr. Moritz Kaposi who first described it in 1872. Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) was a rare form of relatively benign cancer that usually occurred in older people who are of Mediterranean origin or cancer or transplant patients undergoing immunosuppressive therapy. Most KS cases have developed in association with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), especially among homosexual men. This is called AIDS-related Kaposi sarcoma. This disease typically causes tumors to develop in the tissues below the skin surface, or in the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose, or anus. These lesions (abnormal tissue areas) appear as raised blotches or lumps that may be purple, brown, or red.

Sometimes the disease causes painful swelling, especially in the legs, groin area, or skin around the eyes. Extensive lung involvement by KS can be fatal. In 40% or more of patients with AIDS-associated Kaposi's sarcoma, the Kaposi lesions will shrink upon first starting highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART).


  1. Gottlieb MS, Schroff R, Schanker HM, et al. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia and mucosal candidiasis in previously healthy homosexual men: evidence of a new acquired cellular immunodeficiency. N Engl J Med. 1981; 305:1425-31.
  2. AIDSinfo - (http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/)
  3. AIDS Wikipedia - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS)

Latest Publications and Research on AIDS/HIV - Common Opportunistic Infections


tkross Monday, December 21, 2009

hi..my name is dumark,i recently got a black and hard spot on my shoulder and i am scared it cld be KS,its been thr for abt 5 months now,i usually peel off the hard top skin atimes and the lower part bleeds after that...it startd as a very tiny black spot...i dnt knw wht to mk of this given to me by a friend who has been receiving treatments thr,says its real...

Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question

Most Popular on Medindia