Bruxism / Tooth Grinding / Jaw Clenching / Teeth Clenching / Parasomnia
Prevention of Bruxism
Lifestyle changes, dietary alterations, training and relaxation techniques go a long way in the prevention of bruxism.
1. Caffeine, such as colas, chocolate, and coffee are taboo for bruxism. It would pay to avoid them. Chewing gum should be completely avoided as it inculcates the practice of clenching and continuous activity of the jaw muscles. Do not chew on pencils or pens or anything that is not food.
2. Auto suggestion and training to control the problem of grinding and clenching of the teeth can help reduce the extent of bruxism. Guiding the tip of the tongue to adopt a position between the teeth can help reduce grinding of the teeth.
3. Relaxation techniques, warm compress at the cheek can help ease the jaw muscles and bring relief to habitual grinding.
Tips to help a child stop teeth grinding:
• Try massage and stretching exercises to relax the muscles.
• Reduce your child's stress, especially just before bed.
• Include plenty of water in your child’s diet because dehydration may be related to teeth grinding.