- General Info About Pneumonia
- What are the Causes of Pneumonia?
- What are the Symptoms of Pneumonia?
- How can we Diagnosis Pneumonia?
- How can Pneumonia be Treated?
- Frequently Asked Questions about Pneumonia
- Latest Publication and Research
General Info About Pneumonia
Pneumonia is infection of one or both lungs caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites. It is characterized by inflammation of the alveoli in the lungs or by alveoli that are filled with fluid and/or pus.
Pneumonia is one of the commonest causes of hospitalization and death in young children and elderly population.
Types of Pneumonia-
Bronchial pneumonia- Affects all parts of lung.
Lobar Pneumonia- Affects one part of the lung.
Pneumonia usually starts with symptoms of cold and as it progresses there is high fever (as high as 1040F), chills, cough with sputum and acute chest pain during inspiration.
Discovery of antibiotics in the last 50 years has dramatically improved the treatment of bacterial pneumonia. The infection usually clears up in 2-3weeks.
Prevnar and PneumoVax vaccine can be used to protect from pneumonia.