Beware! Dogs May Get Sick on Chewing Sugar-free Gum!

by Reshma Anand on  November 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM Lifestyle News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

Sugar-free gum may be harmful for dogs, revealed a newspaper. According to the Wall Street Journal, sugar-free gum contains Xylitol, which is said to be 100 times more toxic to dogs than milk chocolate.
Beware! Dogs May Get Sick on Chewing Sugar-free Gum!
Beware! Dogs May Get Sick on Chewing Sugar-free Gum!

Xylitol is mostly used in products like mints, gummy vitamins, toothpaste, specialty peanut butter and melatonin sleep aids. It has about two-thirds the calories of sugar and is safer than cane sugar for diabetics.

"There appears to be a surge in the number of cases of dogs becoming sick from xylitol ingestion," the paper said: "We've seen a dramatic increase," Dr. Ahna Brutlag, a veterinary toxicologist, told the Journal in an interview. In 2015, there have already been 2,800 calls to the Pet Poison Helpline due to the sweetener being ingested by canines, up from 300 calls in 2009.

The American company Hersheys also sells a lot of sugar free gum containing xylitol across the country.

"We certainly understand the deep passion that pet owners have for their animals, but there are many foods and ingredients, including xylitol-containing foods, intended for human consumption that should not be consumed by animals or pets," a Hershey spokesman told the Journal.

Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive