Medindia

X

Moisture and Moulds at Home Increases Risk of Asthma

by Savitha C Muppala on  June 14, 2011 at 5:33 PM Respiratory Disease News   - G J E 4
Risk of asthma and allergies, especially in children increases in water damaged mouldy homes, thus putting close to 80,000 homes in New Zealand at risk.
 Moisture and Moulds at Home Increases Risk of Asthma
Moisture and Moulds at Home Increases Risk of Asthma
Advertisement

The risk of asthma went by 49% for children living in homes with visible mould. Such children also stood a 39 per cent chance of suffering nasal allergies.

Advertisement
Explaining the importance of completely removing these visible moulds, co-author Christina Tischer, of the German Research Center for Environmental Health, said, "Home environment with visible mould and mould spore exposure increase the risk for allergic respiratory health outcomes in children."

Recent studies have shown that mould and airborne mould spores can cause inflammation in the airways.

"Visible mould patches at the walls, or a mouldy odor, is indicating that the normal microbial composition is out of kilter, which is most often due to dampness, excessive moisture or building damage," Tischer said.



Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All