Last Updated on Jun 23, 2016

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should you consult for hyperkalemia?

A general physician or family physician of the patient has to be consulted immediately. The patient should be rushed to the hospital and recovery measures should be as quick as possible.

2. What are the other causes for hyperkalemia?

Apart from drug induced hyperkalemia, kidney failure due to chronic kidney disease, Addison’s disease (Adrenal failure), alcoholism and trauma are other causes for hyperkalemia.

3. How is hyperkalemia diagnosed?    

Hyperkalemia is rarely diagnosed based on symptoms.A blood test is usually done to diagnose the potassium level. However, frequent electrocardiogram (ECG) monitoring is required in patients with increased serum potassium level of 6.5Meq/L. ECG changes like peaked T waves, QRS widening and depression of ST-segment may be noted in patients with hyperkalemia.

Most Popular on Medindia