Last Updated on Jun 23, 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I visit to get a test for chlamydial infection done?

You should visit your gynecologist or venereal disease specialist to get tested for chlamydial infection. In some cases, your general physician may also conduct the test.

2. When should a woman stop screening for chlamydial infection?

Though there is no specific recommendation regarding when to stop screening for chlamydial infection, screening may be stopped once a woman has reached menopause. This is because the woman is no longer exposed to the complications of chlamydial infection like ectopic pregnancy and infertility which she is normally exposed to before menopause.

3. What are the other tests used to diagnose chlamydial infection?

Other tests used to diagnose chlamydial infections are:
  • Cell culture tests: Culture techniques are available for chlamydial infections but are not suitable for screening due to their low sensitivity (ability to detect an infection), increased time for results, technical difficulties and high cost. However, if the test is positive, it is 100% sure that the patient is suffering from Chlamydial infection.
  • Other nonculture tests also available for chlamydial infection include Nucleic Acid Hybridization (Nucleic Acid Probe) Tests (which are not specific for chlamydial infection and are positive in the presence of gonococcal infection as well), DFA tests (which are time consuming and require a technician trained in fluorescent microscopy) and EAI tests (which are less sensitive than NAATs).
  • Rapid tests or Point-of-Care tests are also available that permit quick diagnosis, but they are less sensitive and specific than laboratory tests as well as more costly.

4. What happens if the test result is positive for chlamydial infection?

If the screening test is positive for chlamydial infection, you could either receive treatment with antibiotics or reconfirm the result using an alternative test.

Most Popular on Medindia