NEW HAVEN, Conn., Sept. 11, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at the Yale University School of Medicine and FabOverFifty.com, a lifestyle website, will inaugurate a One-Day Medical School (ODMS) on October 25, 2018, to educate women about the critical health issues they'll be facing during the transitional
"Yale faculty will empower women with crucial knowledge and honest dialog about bone, breast, heart and bladder health, and guide them on their often-arduous journey from peri-to-post-menopause," says Mary Jane Minkin, M.D., Clinical Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at Yale University School of Medicine. "Our mission is to make life healthy and more comfortable."
"Unfortunately, women are terribly confused and have been woefully uninformed about their health and bodies as they age. Many are dealing with painful and uncomfortable issues that affect their quality of life. By teaming with one of the most prestigious medical schools in the world, we aim to educate women, 45+, about essential medical issues they're confronting now, or can expect to face in the future," says Geri Brin, founder of FabOverFifty.com.
Women will leave with goody bags filled with products from brands including: Replens, Tru Niagen, GNC, and Early Bird Books, and will learn 5 important lessons during the day:
1. KEEPING ABREAST: DEMYSTIFYING BREAST CANCER TESTING AND TREATMENTSProfessor: Dr. Erin Wysong Hofstatter, Co-Director, Yale Cancer Genetics and Prevention Program
2. AT THE HEART OF THE MATTER: HOW TO ATTACK WOMEN'S PUBLIC ENEMY #1Professor: Dr. Jeffrey R. Bender, Director, Yale Cardiovascular Research Center
3. STAYING IN CONTROL: MASTERING THE MATTER OF THE BLADDERProfessor: Dr. Oz Harmanli, Chief, Yale Urogynecology & Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery
4. BONING UP: TAKING YOUR SKELETON OUT OF THE CLOSETProfessor: Dr. Elizabeth H. Holt, Co-Director, Yale Endocrine Neoplasia Disease Team
5. HOLY HORMONES! THE JOURNEY THROUGH MENOPAUSE, PERI TO POSTProfessors: Dr. Mary Jane Minkin, Yale Clinical Professor, Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences, with Dr. Rose Tamura and Dr. Julia Edelman, North American Menopause Society Certified Menopause Practitioners
Erica Jong, the celebrated author of Fear of Flying, the powerful story of a woman's journey of self-discovery and defining her own life, will compare the Erica of 1973 with the Erica of today during an interview at lunch.
The day's sessions will be live at The Yale West Campus Conference Center in New Haven, CT, and streamed on demand through the rest of 2018/19 for those who cannot attend. "Women will have the opportunity to see it on their laptops, desktops and tablets, or even phones, at their leisure," adds Brin. "We strongly encourage women to join us in person or online for what we expect will be an unforgettable experience."
WOMEN CAN REGISTER AT WWW.FABOVERFIFTY.COM/EVENTS/DAY-MEDICAL-SCHOOL/
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/one-day-medical-school-at-the-department-of-obstetrics-gynecology-and-reproductive-sciences-at-the-yale-university-school-of-medicine-to-provide-essential-health-education-for-women-45-300710120.html
SOURCE Mary Jane Minkin, MD
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!