ABBOTT PARK, Ill., Sep. 23
* Working Mother (http://www.workingmother.com/) magazine announced thatAbbott was one of the "Top 10" companies on the 2008 Working Mother 100 Best(http://www.workingmother.com/?service=vpage/109) list, one of the mostprestigious honors recognizing companies for innovation in providing afamily-friendly workplace.
* This marks the eighth consecutive year that Abbott has been honored onthe Working Mother 100 Best Companies list -- a reflection of the company'scommitment to helping employees succeed at work and at home.
* Working Mother recognized Abbott for offering groundbreakingfamily-friendly benefits that reach not only working mothers, but alsofathers, adoptive parents and grandparents. For example, Abbott recentlylaunched "Freedom to Work," a program that offers employees a phasedretirement option on their terms -- including more flexibility and the freedomto pursue new roles and opportunities in and out of the office, withoutaffecting their benefits.
* Other standout Abbott programs help employees and their families enjoy ahealthier life, including on-site fitness centers; free Abbott medicines,glucose meters and test strips; free confidential health assessments andscreenings; and access to a personal health coach.
* The "Top 10" list and additional information is available in the Octoberissue of Working Mother magazine, available on newsstands and athttp://www.workingmother.com.
"At Abbott, we are committed to helping employees build extraordinarycareers. We're proud to be recognized once again for developing programs thatmeet the evolving needs of our employees, their families and our business.Abbott's family-friendly workplace provides working mothers, fathers,grandparents and all of our employees with the flexibility, support andprofessional development they need to succeed at every stage in their lives."
Stephen Fussell, Senior Vice President,
Human Resources, Abbott
"Once again, Abbott has shown it is a leader in offering innovativeprograms that help working families, including comprehensive benefits,flexible work options, health and wellness initiatives, and phased retirement.We are excited to honor them as one of our 'Top 10' companies."
Abbott Widely Recognized as a Premier Global Employer
In addition to being included on the Working Mother 100 Best Companieslist for the past eight years, Abbott has been named one of the "50 BestPlaces to Launch a Career" by BusinessWeek for three straight years and wasincluded in the 2008 edition of the Princeton Review's Best Entry-Level Jobs.The company has been included on DiversityInc magazine's list of the topcompanies for diversity for many years, and has been recognized by Sciencemagazine as a top employer for scientists. Abbott also has been honored asone of the best places to work in many countries around the world, includingBelgium, Canada, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy and the United Kingdom.Additionally, FORTUNE has named Abbott as one of "America's Most AdmiredCompanies" every year since the list's inception in 1983.
About Working Mother and the 100 Best Companies List
Abbott was selected for the 2008 Working Mother 100 Best Companies basedon an extensive application with more than 500 questions. The applicationincluded detailed questions about workforce, compensation, child care,flexibility programs, leave policies and more. It also checked the usage,availability and tracking of programs, as well as the accountability ofmanagers who oversee them. Seven areas were measured and scored: workforceprofile, compensation, child care, flexibility, time off and leaves, family-friendly programs, and company culture. For this year's 100 Best, particularweight was given to family-friendly policies, flexibility, leave policies andb