Introduction to Diabetes
The common facts known to general public about diabetes are limited to, a lack of insulin and increase in blood sugar levels. To the common man, insulin is the magic word for diabetes. And yet, ask him if he knows the exact symptoms or warning signs for diabetes and the chances are he may not really know.
So, let us find out about the signs and symptoms that might suggest a possible risk of development of diabetes that should not be ignored.
Not everyone with type 2 diabetes may display all these symptoms. The intensity of these symptoms may vary between different individuals with type 2 diabetes, and there are some who may not exhibit any of these symptoms.
Hence, in the event you experience any of the warning signs of diabetes, please consult a diabetologist.
Here is a list of the top 10 warning signs of diabetes
1. Blurred Vision – High blood sugar causes fluid to flow out of tissues, such as the eyes. The eyes are unable to focus because changes occur in the lens of the eyes. In the initial stages, there may not be noticeable effects but over time, without treatment, the individual begins to suffer loss in vision and ultimately blindness.
2. Increased Incidence of Infections:
Increased blood sugar levels promote bacterial growth and multiplication. There is a higher incidence of urinary tract infections. Both men and women develop yeast in warm moist areas of the body such as skin folds, groin, beneath breasts and between fingers and toes. These lesions are also highly itchy.
3. Increased Frequency in Urination and Exceptional Thirst – Excess blood sugar affects the kidneys as they try to process all of the blood sugar. However, when they are unable to deal with the excess sugar, they release it into urine. Excretion of the blood sugar removes fluids from the cells of the tissues by osmosis. This results in dehydration, dry mouth, the feeling of thirst, and hence, the need to drink plenty of water.
4. Inflamed Gums – High blood sugar affects the body’s ability to deal with infections. Hence, the gums become inflamed, the teeth get dislodged from the gums, or the gums become filled with pus or contain sores.
5. Hands and Feet Experience Pain, Numbness, or Tingling Sensations – This is because the high levels of blood sugar damage the nerves that supply blood to the hands and feet. Because of this there is sensory loss in the toes which are prone to develop ulcers and sores that don’t heal.
6. Hunger Despite Eating Well – The sugar in the blood may not reach the different parts of the body leading to a feeling of hunger irrespective of the presence of high blood sugar. In addition, there is a high rate of blood sugar loss due to an increased urinary frequency.
7. Loss of Weight – The body loses a lot of sugar through frequent urination and so there is a loss of sugar with consequent loss of calories resulting in weight loss.
8. Fatigue and Exhaustion – This can be explained by the fact that the body loses a lot of water and solutes, and is unable to utilize the excess sugar in the body. Hence, energy production reduces in the body, and the added effect of dehydration leaves the individual feeling tired.
9. Presence of Dark Skin of Velvet Texture (Acanthosis nigricans) – Individuals who may be developing diabetes may notice a velvety texture in their skin in areas, such as the groin, the armpit, and the neck. This change in texture of the skin indicates an increase in the insulin levels in the blood.
10. Impotence and Erectile Dysfunction – Men with diabetes may also suffer from erectile dysfunction and impotence, related to nerve damage.
- Symptoms of Diabetes - (http://www.diabetes.ca/about-diabetes/signs-and-symptoms)
- Type 1 diabetes - Symptoms - (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type1/Pages/Symptoms.aspx)
- Diabetes symptoms: When diabetes symptoms are a concern - (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/in-depth/diabetes-symptoms/art-20044248?pg=1)
- Diabetes: 12 warning signs that appear on your skin - (https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/other-conditions/diabetes-warning-signs)
- Symptoms, Diagnosis & Monitoring of Diabetes - (http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/Diabetes/SymptomsDiagnosisMonitoringofDiabetes/Symptoms-Diagnosis-Monitoring-of-Diabetes_UCM_002035_Article.jsp#.WCYgOxQyfdk)
- Type 2 Diabetes and Weight Gain from Insulin - (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/med/insul-gain-eng.php)
- Kaushal K, Ghosh S, Dornan TL. Headache in diabetes—occipital neuropathy. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 2003;96(12):589.
Latest Publications and Research on Top 10 Warning Signs of Diabetes You Shouldn’t Ignore
- [Characteristics of single subcortical small infarction in the middle cerebral artery territory]. - Published by PubMed
- Lethargy in a patient with diabetes: A diagnosis not to be missed. - Published by PubMed
- Long-Term Weight Loss, Metabolic Outcomes, and Quality of Life at 10 Years After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Are Independent of Patients' Age at Baseline. - Published by PubMed
- Prognostic value of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the elderly patients. - Published by PubMed
- Antihypertensive Effectiveness of Perindopril Arginine and Indapamide Single-Pill Combination According to Body Mass Index: Findings from the FORSAGE Study. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. (2016, December 30). Top 10 Warning Signs of Diabetes You Shouldn't Ignore. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/symptoms/top-10-warning-signs-of-diabetes-you-shouldnt-ignore.htm.
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. "Top 10 Warning Signs of Diabetes You Shouldn't Ignore". Medindia. Jun 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/symptoms/top-10-warning-signs-of-diabetes-you-shouldnt-ignore.htm>.
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. "Top 10 Warning Signs of Diabetes You Shouldn't Ignore". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/symptoms/top-10-warning-signs-of-diabetes-you-shouldnt-ignore.htm. (accessed Jun 28, 2022).
Dr. Smitha S. Dutt. 2021. Top 10 Warning Signs of Diabetes You Shouldn't Ignore. Medindia, viewed Jun 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/symptoms/top-10-warning-signs-of-diabetes-you-shouldnt-ignore.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Diabetologist for your problem? Ask your question
9 years experience
12 years experience
15 years experience
4 years experience
Dr Clinic, Ramapuram, chennai