Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I visit in case I faint?

A single fainting episode may not mean much and may not require treatment. However, if you suffer from repeated episodes, it is better to meet your general practitioner who may evaluate you and refer you to a specialist if necessary.

2. What are the tests used for diagnosing the cause of fainting?

Fainting is diagnosed based on a complete physical examination. An ECG should be done to rule out cardiac cause. A twenty-four hour (Holter) electrocardiographic monitoring is done to rule out suspected arrhythmias. Echocardiography and exercise testing may be used in some cases. Tests like computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), electroencephalography (EEG), and carotid ultrasonography are advised only if a neurological cause is suspected.

Most Popular on Medindia