Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I visit in case of swelling of the eyelids?

You could visit an eye specialist or an ophthalmologist for swelling of the eyelids. You may be referred to another specialist depending upon the cause of the swelling.

2. How is swelling of the eyelid diagnosed?

Swelling of the eyelids is diagnosed based on
  • Carefully taken medical history of the patient
  • Physical examination of the eyelids, eyes, face and other parts of the body
  • Diagnostic tests depending on the underlying cause

3. What is the treatment recommended for swelling of the eyelids?

Treatment of the underlying cause is the primary step towards treating eyelid swelling.
  • Less serious conditions can be treated with proper eyelid hygiene and local medications.
  • Surgery may be recommended in serious and malignant conditions affecting the eyelid.

Most Popular on Medindia