Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I visit in case I suffer from dry eyes?

You should visit an ophthalmologist or eye doctor in case you suffer from dry eyes.

2. What are the possible treatments for dry eyes?

Artificial tear drops or ointments may provide relief from dry eyes. The punctum, a small opening on the inner side of the eyelids through which the tears drain, may be blocked either temporarily or permanently, to reduce drainage of tears. An eye drop that contains cyclosporine may be used to increase tear production in some cases. Corticosteroids may also be helpful. Local or systemic antibiotics may be useful in case of infection. A number of devices to increase the moisture of the eyes are also available for the treatment of dry eyes.

Most Popular on Medindia