Last Updated on Aug 08, 2014

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I visit in case I suffer from dizziness?

You should visit your general practitioner or neurologist in case you suffer from dizziness. In some cases, you may be referred to an ENT doctor for treatment.

2. How are ear problems related to dizziness?

Besides hearing, the inner ear is responsible for maintaining balance. The sense of balance is controlled by a part of the inner ear called the labyrinth. Signals are sent from the inner ear to the brain to perceive body position and maintain balance.

3. How can one differentiate between a central and peripheral cause of vertigo?

Central and peripheral vertigo can be differentiated based on the type of nystagmus or abnormal eye movements. For example, in peripheral vertigo, the nystagmus lessens or disappears when the patient focuses the gaze. It does not lessen in central vertigo and persists for a longer time. Symptoms in central vertigo usually last for a longer duration. Peripheral vertigo usually has a more sudden onset than central vertigo; an exception to this is a stroke, which is a central cause of vertigo of sudden onset.

Most Popular on Medindia