Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I visit in case I have a reduced appetite?

You should visit your general practitioner in case you are suffering from a reduced appetite. He may treat any obvious illness if it is mild. He may also prescribe you a multivitamin. In case he feels that there could be a serious reason for the decrease in appetite, he may refer you to a specialist.

2. Can diet be altered to increase appetite?

Appetite can be increased by eating your favorite food. In such cases, even junk food may be permissible over short durations. Adding protein supplements to drinks and taking small amounts of food each time can help to maintain the nutritional intake. You should also drink a lot of water.

3. Are there any medications that reduce appetite?

Medications that are used in the treatment of obesity bring about their action by reducing appetite. However, some of these drugs like sibutramine, fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine have been banned due to their ability to cause serious side effects.

Most Popular on Medindia