Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I visit in case I suffer from breast pain?

You may visit a gynecologist or surgeon in case you suffer from breast pain.

2. What are the tests done for breast pain?

Your doctor will examine your breasts to rule out the possibility of any lumps associated with the pain. In case you are over 35 years of age, your doctor may advise you to undergo a mammography.

3. What are the medications used to treat breast pain?

Most people need only reassurance that their breast pain is not caused by a cancer. Supplementation with evening primrose oil has been found to be effective. Over-the-counter painkillers also help to relieve the pain. Drugs like danazol, bromocriptine and tamoxifene are available for the treatment of breast pain. However, they do have side effects and their use should be limited to severe cases only. Avoiding caffeine, supplementing vitamin E, and high fat foods may be beneficial, though there is no adequate proof for the same. A well-fitting bra provides support to the breasts and can reduce the symptoms of breast pain.

Most Popular on Medindia