Last Updated on Sep 16, 2019

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I visit in case of abdominal pain?

You could visit your family doctor or a surgeon for abdominal pain. You may be referred to a specialist depending on the cause of pain.

2. What are the common tests used to evaluate abdominal pain?

A careful history often helps in diagnosing the cause of abdominal pain. Some tests that assist in the diagnosis are:
  • Complete blood counts, liver and pancreatic enzyme estimation and urinalysis. A pregnancy test may be done in women to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
  • Radiological tests like plain x-ray, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI and barium x-ray.
  • Endoscopic procedures like esophagogastroduodenoscopy, colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy and balloon enteroscopy

3. How is colic in infants treated?

The exact cause of colics in infants is not known. It usually disappears as the infant gets older. Holding the baby and gently rocking her could help to pacify the baby. A gentle massage over the abdomen may also help.


dillonsword Monday, September 10, 2012

Can abdominal pain be caused by nerves as a result of long-term narcotic use? If so, how is this treated?

Most Popular on Medindia