Frequently Asked Questions1. Which doctor should I visit in case of abdominal pain?
You could visit your family doctor or a surgeon for abdominal pain. You may be referred to a specialist depending on the cause of pain.
2. What are the common tests used to evaluate abdominal pain?
A careful history often helps in diagnosing the cause of abdominal pain. Some tests that assist in the diagnosis are:
- Complete blood counts, liver and pancreatic enzyme estimation and urinalysis. A pregnancy test may be done in women to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
- Radiological tests like plain x-ray, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI and barium x-ray.
- Endoscopic procedures like esophagogastroduodenoscopy, colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy and balloon enteroscopy
3. How is colic in infants treated?
The exact cause of colics in infants is not known. It usually disappears as the infant gets older. Holding the baby and gently rocking her could help to pacify the baby. A gentle massage over the abdomen may also help.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2019, September 16). Symptoms of Abdominal Pain - Frequently Asked Questions. Medindia. Retrieved on May 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/symptoms/abdominal-pain-faqs.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Symptoms of Abdominal Pain - Frequently Asked Questions". Medindia. May 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/symptoms/abdominal-pain-faqs.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Symptoms of Abdominal Pain - Frequently Asked Questions". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/symptoms/abdominal-pain-faqs.htm. (accessed May 25, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Symptoms of Abdominal Pain - Frequently Asked Questions. Medindia, viewed May 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/symptoms/abdominal-pain-faqs.htm.