What is Scar Revision?
Scar revision surgery is a cosmetic surgical procedure to remove or minimize the appearance of scar such so that it merges into the surrounding skin and seems less obvious and skin tone is also improved.
Scars are visible patches on skin that remain after a wound is healed, post surgery or an injury. They could be unpleasant, cosmetically unattractive and differ in color or texture compared to surrounding tissue.
Skin has three major layers, epidermis, dermis and superficial fascia. Depending on the extent of injury or surgery, the scars may be confined to the superficial layers of the skin or extend more deeply.
Scar revision, a type of plastic surgery helps to reduce the extent of scarring. However, scar tissue cannot be completely erased.
What are the Types of Scar Revision?Depending on the extent and type of scarring, various options for scar revision include:
- Topical treatments such as tapes, gels, external compression
- Minimal invasive procedures or Injectable treatments to fill depressed or concave scars
- Surface treatments like dermabrasion which includes polishing of skin, laser or light therapy, skin bleaching agents to lighten the hyperpigmentation (darker patches) of skin and chemical peels to soften skin texture
- Keloid removal- A keloid is abnormal growth of scar tissue which forms near the wound or a surgical incision. It is usually a thick cluster of scars which is darker in color than the surrounding skin. Treatment incudes steroid injections followed by surgery
- Removal of contracture scars – These scars occur when a large surface area of skin is injured. The scar restricts the movement of surrounding muscles and tendons.
- Incision procedure to remove old scars and closing the incisions
- Surgical revision
- Laser skin resurfacing
Who Should Undergo this Scar Revision?Scar revision can be undergone by an individual of any age.
It should be undergone by individuals who
- are physically healthy
- do not smoke
- do not suffer from active acne or any other skin disease
Who Not Should Undergo the Scar Revision?Scar revision must not be undergone by an individual who
- Is not psychologically prepared for the surgery and the risks involved
- Has impractical expectations from the surgery
- Has connective tissue disorders, vitamin deficiency or diabetes mellitus as there could be complications and delay in healing process