Pre-operative assessment and preparation
1. As for any other surgery, certain baseline investigations like urine analysis and hemoglobin is usually done.
2. More tests may be required depending on the age and general condition of the patient.
3. The patient has to starve for a minimum of about six hours before the surgery.
4. He will be given an enema to help him move his bowel and empty it.
5. The skin over the anal region is shaved clean of any hair. Post-operative care
The patient is given stool softeners and suppositories to keep the bowel movement easy and painless.
The external wounds have to be taken care of by having twice daily sitz baths.
Sitz baths - In this the patient is asked to sit in warm water with some salt added after they have moved their bowels for about 10 to 15 minutes. After the bath fresh bandages are applied.
After 3-4 weeks the surgeon will review the healing process.
Most Popular On Medindia: