1. Which type of specialist generally performs Bariatric Surgery Operation?
Usually a general surgeon trained in this type of surgery will perform the operation. Always check the credentials of the surgeon before selecting them. It is best to speak to a patient who may have had similar surgery and ask them about their experience with the surgeon and the hospital facilities.
2. What are the routine tests before surgery?
The tests to be done are based on the condition of the patient: Analysis of blood samples, urine, pulmonary function tests, echocardiogram, sleep studies, evaluation of gastrointestinal functions, cardiology evaluation, and psychiatric evaluation. In addition, thyroid function tests and liver function test are also done.
3. Why do I have to have a sleep study?
This is usually done to detect conditions like obstructive sleep apnoea that is associated with a high mortality rate.
4. Is Laparoscopic surgery the safest choice?
Laparoscopic surgery does carry the risks just like any surgical procedure. Benefits include shorter hospital stay, less discomfort, faster recovery, and fewer scars.
5. How long do I have to stay in the hospital?This is highly variable and depends upon the surgery. It could be as short as one day
laparoscopic adjustable gastric band).
6. How soon will I be able to walk?
Doctors may ask you to get up and walk almost immediately. Return to normal life (work, driving vehicles etc) will strictly be according to the advice the treating doctor.
7. Is exercise required after surgery?
Exercise is an absolute must for a healthy life after surgery.
8. Can I get pregnant after weight loss surgery?
A woman is recommended to avoid getting pregnant during the first year after surgery.
9. Are there age restrictions to perform a bariatric surgery?
Age is a controversial area. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved LAP-BAND for use in patients 18 years and older. The age of 60s is generally set as a cut off for performing gastric bypass. Increasing experience will be required to decide what type of surgery benefits which age group.
Most Popular On Medindia: