Disease which are transmitted by drinking contaminated water
|Disease ||Symptoms ||Transmission ||Treatment |
|Bacillary Dysentery/ |
- Abdominal pain
- Watery diarrhea
- Mild fever
- Abdominal cramps
- Frequent stools with bloody mucus
|Bacillary dysentery is caused by four species of the Genus Shigella |
Shigella species spread by faecal-oral route
- Maintain the loss of body fluids by giving Oral re hydration salt solution.
- Antibiotic treatment for children and aged people
- Profuse diarrhea with abdominal cramps.
- "Rice water" stool containing mucus, epithelial cells and bacteria.
- Rapid loss of fluid, electrolytes, which leads to profound dehydration, circulatory collapse.
- Cholera is transmitted by drinking water or eating food contaminated with Vibrio cholerae.
- Floodwaters can carry V. cholerae and contaminate drinking water supplies.
- Eating raw or under cooked seafood.
Sanitation, food safety and hygiene practices are inadequate.
- Oral re-hydration salts to replace the loss of fluids and salts.
- In severe cases antibiotics used are -
|Hepatitis A || |
- Transmitted by faecal-oral route due to faecal contamination of Hepatitis A virus.
- Causes Infectious Hepatitis.
- Mortality rate 0.5%
- Prevention of faecal contamination.
- Personal hygiene
- Use of Immune globulin (IG)
- Hepatitis A virus vaccine available.
|Typhoid fever || |
- enteric fever
- Water-borne disease transmitted by contaminated water containing
Salmonella typhi and Salmonella paratyphi causes Typhoid and Paratyphoid fevers.
- Prevention of faecal contamination which causes water borne disease
|Malaria || |
- Muscle pains
- Transmission of parasite Plasmodium species from infected person to other person by the bite of female anopheles mosquito.
- Personal prophylaxis-Apply Repellent creams, use mosquito nets
- Destroying the larval, pupa and adult stages of mosquito by insecticide, biological methods, and physical methods.
- Treatment of infected person:
- Acridine derivatives
- 4 and 8 Aminoquinolines