Malaria Control Measures
c) Advantages and Disadvantages
The advantage of oil usage is that both the larvae and pupae of mosquito are killed.
The disadvantages of oil usage –
- Repeated usage may hinder the vegetation growth
- Cannot be used on drinking water sources
- Small fishes in the water may be killed
- Strong winds can break the oil film
Destruction of Adult Mosquitoes:
This method is mostly used in house hold for killing adult mosquitos
Spraying on a systematic scale should be started before commencement of mosquito breeding and continued throught the malaria transmission season.
a) Pyrethrum spray
- Pyrethrum is prepared from dried flowers of Pyrethrum cinerarifolium plant
- Pyrethrum extract can be prepared by distillation to give 1% or 2% extract
- Mosquitoes get irritated and when the come into contact with suspended pyrethrum extract and the respiratory system are clogged and they die due to suffocation immediately.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, May 21). Malaria control measure. Medindia. Retrieved on May 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/malaria_measures2.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Malaria control measure". Medindia. May 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/malaria_measures2.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Malaria control measure". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/malaria_measures2.htm. (accessed May 25, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Malaria control measure. Medindia, viewed May 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/malaria_measures2.htm.