Malaria Control Measures
c) Advantages and Disadvantages
The advantage of oil usage is that both the larvae and pupae of mosquito are killed.
The disadvantages of oil usage –
- Repeated usage may hinder the vegetation growth
- Cannot be used on drinking water sources
- Small fishes in the water may be killed
- Strong winds can break the oil film
Destruction of Adult Mosquitoes:
This method is mostly used in house hold for killing adult mosquitos
Spraying on a systematic scale should be started before commencement of mosquito breeding and continued throught the malaria transmission season.
a) Pyrethrum spray
- Pyrethrum is prepared from dried flowers of Pyrethrum cinerarifolium plant
- Pyrethrum extract can be prepared by distillation to give 1% or 2% extract
- Mosquitoes get irritated and when the come into contact with suspended pyrethrum extract and the respiratory system are clogged and they die due to suffocation immediately.