Enteric Fever Treatment
- Antibiotic treatment by giving Chloramphenicol
- Oral Chloramphenicol
- Severe infections - Intravenous injection of Chloramphenicol
- In Chloramphenicol resistance - Ampicillin, Co-trimoxazole, Ciprofloxacin
- Replacement of fluids and electrolytes
- Antibiotics is mostly not required for treatment of gastroenteritis
- Bacteremia treatment requires antibiotic treatment of Chloramphenicol, Co-trimoxazole, Ampicillin.
- Newer Cephalosporins (Cefotazime / Ceftriazone) are now used for treating heavy bacteremia caused by Salmonella infection.
- For treating abscess caused by Salmonella surgical drainage is done to remove abscess.
- Gall bladder removal (Cholecystectomy) with antibiotic treatment can cure asymptomatic carriers.
- Risk of spreading bacteria during surgery and causing metastasis.
- Antibiotics used for treatment - Ampicillin, Amoxicillin, Co-trimoxazole, Ciprofloxacin.