How do you diagnose Salmonella infection
Diagnosis of Salmonella infection is undertaken by
a) Isolation of Salmonella -
- Salmonella isolated using blood culture, organisms are isolated from blood stream at all stages of infection
- Salmonella species are isolated mostly from 2nd week and 3rd week from stool and urine samples respectively.
- Faeces and Urine are centrifuged and the deposits are enriched in Selenine F broth followed by inoculation in to Selective media Deoxycholate Citrate Agar (DCA)
- The colonies are tested for presence of Salmonella 'O' and 'H' antigens by slide agglutination test, followed by biochemical testing.
b) Widal test : -
- Widal test is done to detect Salmonella antibodies in the blood of infected person. Specific O and H antibodies of Salmonella are detected in blood.
- Detection of Vi antibodies in the serum is diagnostic for Salmonella chronic carriers.
- Fourfold increase in antibody level is used for confirming Salmonella infection.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, September 10). Typhoid and Paratyphoid Enteric Fevers - Diagnosis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 17, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/enteric_fever_diagnosis.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Typhoid and Paratyphoid Enteric Fevers - Diagnosis". Medindia. May 17, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/enteric_fever_diagnosis.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Typhoid and Paratyphoid Enteric Fevers - Diagnosis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/enteric_fever_diagnosis.htm. (accessed May 17, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Typhoid and Paratyphoid Enteric Fevers - Diagnosis. Medindia, viewed May 17, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/enteric_fever_diagnosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
2 years experience
HCG hospitals [oncology], sampangiRama nagar