Frequently Asked Questions1. Which doctor should I consult if I have symptoms of cholera?
You should visit a general physician.
2. What is the prognosis of cholera?
If treated quickly and properly, the mortality rate is less than 1%. The prognosis of cholera depends on fluid and electrolyte replacement. With adequate fluids, most people will make a full recovery. Severe dehydration can lead to shock and death.
3. How can cholera be prevented?
Cholera can be prevented with appropriate measures like-
- Safe drinking water and non-contaminated foods.
- Cleanliness, which is the most effective way to prevent and control outbreaks of cholera.
- Sanitary disposal of feces.
- Some protection can be obtained from oral vaccines while traveling to areas where cholera commonly occurs or which have had a recent outbreak.
4. What are the complications of cholera?
If not treated promptly, cholera can lead to severe dehydration, shock and death.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2016, October 07). Frequently Asked Questions about Cholera. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/cholera-faq.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Frequently Asked Questions about Cholera". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/cholera-faq.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Frequently Asked Questions about Cholera". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/cholera-faq.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Frequently Asked Questions about Cholera. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/cholera-faq.htm.