Yoga and Back Pain - Healing benefits of yoga
- Yoga strengthens muscle groups. Many postures in yoga strengthen the back and abdominal muscles and help the body maintain a proper upright posture and movement. When these muscles are well conditioned, it helps to offset back pain.
- Yoga eases lower back pain, by stretching and strengthening the muscles of the lower back. It increases blood circulation, which brings healing nutrients to the injured tissues.
- Yoga helps in proper body alignment and good posture, which helps maintain a natural curvature of the spine, that is crucial in avoiding lower back pain.
- Yoga increases the awareness of the body and keeps the body healthy and supple.
- Yoga incorporates stretching and relaxation, which reduces tension in stress carrying muscles.
Backache strikes when the
Know Thy Vertebra
To understand back pain, we need to know about the structure of the Backbone. 33 vertebrae form the backbone. The backbone gives the main support to human beings to keep them erect in standing position. This vertebrae is further divided into 5 sections, namely,
- Cervical region contains 7 vertebrae
- Thoracic region contains 12 vertebrae
- Lumbar region contains 5 vertebrae
- Sacral region contains 5 vertebrae
- Coccyx region contains 4 vertebrae